BUSINESS CHALLENGE: Need to accelerate the speed of an SAP HANA migration and gain real-time insights with SAP HANA.
Organizations must convert all key SAP modules, such as Financial Accounting and Controlling (FICO) or Production Planning (PP), to S/4HANA where they will then be part of a complete real-time analytics solution. Making a move to SAP HANA and eventually to S/4HANA means restructuring the SAP landscape, migrating the data, and putting in place new operations processes. Consider what a migration from an existing SAP implementation run on an IBM Power 5, 6, or 7 to standards-based hybrid IT entails:
• A platform migration to industry-standard x86
• An operating system migration from AIX to Linux®
• A database migration from DB2 or Oracle to SAP HANA
• A data conversion from big-endian to little-endian (the order in which bytes are stored in memory) as part of Linux migration
• Module-level application migration from SAP ERP to S/4HANA
SAP HANA requires massive amounts of memory and compute power that deliver the availability, reliability and security needed to handle these missioncritical applications. A two-step, proven and tested migration approach will help minimize business disruption.
- The first area to consider is infrastructure demands. For supportability, SAP requires a certified infrastructure, which demands expert set up and configuration.
- The second area which is often difficult for businesses is the development of implementation skills. Very few organizations have the time and bandwidth to deploy SAP HANA without outside support. The ability to maintain business continuity over the course of the transition, as well as the expertise needed for capacity planning and sizing, often are not found in many organizations.
- Assess business requirements and develop a business case. Gather technical and business requirements, including a review of SAP levels and components, custom applications, and workload metrics
- Determine infrastructure needs. Perform an OS, hypervisor, and database assessment and complete a detailed design implementation planning document.
- Prepare business services cutover plans. Complete prescribed SAP, OS, DBMS, and hypervisor upgrades, and conduct designated custom application remediation.
- Prepare for infrastructure migration. Deploy SAP HANA future state reference architecture, complete all Quick Address System Enhancement package (QAS EHP) upgrade tests, and all SAP HANA migration tests. Apply any required system adjustments and tuning.
- Undertake migration process. Complete SAP HANA development and production migration, making sure all backups and recovery points exist. Receive SAP certification with completion of successful production cutover
- Manage the transition. Complete training and knowledge transfer, transition operations and support processes, and decommission legacy systems and infrastructure.
- Minimal impact on users, developers, and operations during the migration process.
- Smooth migration to SAP HANA with zero downtime.
- Best performance, scalability and availability of SAP HANA infrastructure.
- Establishes a model for the future.
- Ability to analyze data in real-time